Thursday, October 16, 2008

So ya wanna Texturize?!

The last few days I have been stressing over nothing. Recently I have noticed my hair feeling “thinner”. The last couple of days I was thinking about how that could be. How could it suddenly feel softer and not as thick. I’ve always had very thick, wavy hair.

I went through every possible cause: hormones, change in diet.
Nothing drastic has changed.

At 11pm I text my hairdresser (and friend) and told her the situation. She said that hairdressers “texturize” hair and it makes it thinner. The last year hairdressers have been “texturizing” my hair. I’ve finally found a hairdresser I like, but have been through a few. I also have not been using hot tools to style my hair, in an effort to reduce split ends. And haven’t dyed my hair in about 4 months. I’m going through the painful task of growing my hair out to its natural colour, which no-one has seen in over a decade. Dark blond. I’ve had variations of browns over the years. Its coming right through now and looking very light! It looks fine, but I’m sure I’ll need to start pinning my hair all back for a while. All these things, my hairdresser said, contribute to it being shinier, softer and not as thick.

So I’m feeling a lot better about my hair. I have always liked my hair, I admit it. Its thick, shiny and although I often get bad hair days – if I give it some time, it behaves easily. There’s something about ourselves we all like. For me, its my hair. And I would be devastated if it started falling out. I’ll just have to tell hairdressers to stop texturizing!!!

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Yes, take a stand, and also educate yourself. If the hairdressers are doing something you don't like, you certainly can change it.

I've only seen the one photo of you, but your hair was lovely in that photo.

Anonymous said...

What is the deal with the texturising? How do they do it? Note the aussie spelling!! :)

Miss R.

Tea Lady said...

Enc - thank you! I'm glad I know whats going on now.

Miss R: whatever!
ok. you caught me out.
I caught myself saying "tomatoe" the american way the other day. I have to repeat myself if I say it the aussie way... and its become habit. Sigh...

Its Just Me - Daring to Dream said...

I've been growing mine out for a while and thank God I havent had to color the gray yet - so my dusky brown is what I am stuck with. As for texturizing...mine is a gift from mother nature...but even without the hairdresser...it still sheds outside of natural "fall and replacemen" cycle...

Angela said...

my gal pal almost had a nervous breakdown when she found a white hair last week.